Who we are:
ENGIE is a global energy company, a leading provider of electricity, natural gas, and energy services. With 153,090 employees in more than 70 countries worldwide, ENGIE achieved revenue of €66.6 billion in 2016. ENGIE is committed to being a leader in the energy transition.
We are looking for talented and motivated people to create the future of energy. Join a rewarding and flexible work environment that encourages innovation and creativity, and help us meet the energy challenges of today and tomorrow.
Global Energy Management (GEM) is one of ENGIE's Business Units. We deliver services in supply and logistics management, asset management, risk management, market access management, while contributing to the market understanding, design and efficiency and developing market solutions to accelerate the energy transition.
GEM manages one of the largest and most diversified energy portfolios in Europe, including electricity, natural gas, bulk commodities and environmental products.
With 5 trading platforms and activities in more than 50 countries, GEM has an extended geographical coverage in Europe, Asia-Pacific and in the US. It employs 1,300 people around the world.
The data scientist will be part of an extended team of market analysts and meteorologists who sit on the trading floor.
· Intellectually challenging job
· Integration within a larger team of experienced market analysts
· Autonomy and possibility to take responsibilities
· Possibility to grow, learn and develop, including some attendance to conference
Targeting superior energy market knowledge, we build independent analyses and provide positions to give to GEM & Engie a competitive advantage
· Developing consistent market views (gas, power, oil, bulk, carbon, meteo) to explain market moves and forecast future evolution
· Delivering ad-hoc fundamental, statistical and technical analyses
· Pro-actively seeking innovative solutions to improve sales, traders and business developers performance as well as to support senior managers in their decision making process
· Providing market analysis reports and services to a defined set of internal and external clients.
· Providing strategic insights on new businesses linked to energy transition
· Representing GEM in external forum or conferences in relation with energy market knowledge
The Data Scientist will coordinate developments of the team on innovative methods to analyze commodity markets. He/She will focus on fostering machine learning, automated analysis on gas & power market fundamentals (supply/ demand forecast). He/She will support the traders and GEM front entities and develop directional market views.
His/Her activities will cover the following:
· Develop and maintain machine learning models to forecast supply & demand components of gas & power markets
· Develop and maintain models to forecast market prices in collaboration with market analysts
· Coach team members in the domain of data science and machine learning
· Contribute to projects with traders and portfolio managers
· Contribute to data collection, cleaning and analysis
· Follow academic developments in the domain of machine learning applied to commodity markets and meteo
· Promote team spirit and collaboration.
Courbevoie, ENGIE T1
· Regular travels
Education and professional background:
· Master degree or PhD in relevant area (engineering, finance, mathematics, statistics etc)
· 3 to 5 years experience at least in data science applied to markets
· Good knowledge of commodity markets
· Strong analytical skills, programming skills (Python and/or R), ability to build models and apply data science & machine learning to operational topics
· Experience in trading environment: Ability to work with traders, to translate market analyses into propositions/Strategies and to communicate them clearly
· Clear and effective communication both written and verbal; ability to explain and convey messages about complex issues and models; ability to work in multi-cultural environment.
· Reactivity, creativity, initiative, autonomy, ability to cope with tight deadlines, team spirit
· Fluent in English
· Posting Date: Apr 6, 2020