The Examiner, External Claim Management is responsible for the review of claim files and the oversight of claim settlements and investigations handled by independent adjusters. The Examiner will collaborate with both partner and non-partner independent adjusting firms to ensure exemplary customer service while strengthening the partnership and ensuring alignment with Aviva’s best practices and handling procedures.
Please note this position can be a work from home or can be located out of any of offices located in Ontario (Markham, Oakville, Ottawa or down town Toronto) or in any of our Newfoundland, New Brunswick or Nova Scotia offices
· Investigate and negotiate property claims in accordance with Aviva’s best practices and handling procedures
· Responsible for the issuance of payments to vendors, customer and experts.
· Maintain the accuracy and integrity of data captured in Aviva systems
· Review and compile facts and technical reports.
· Analyze estimates, value of claims, negotiate, and settle claims accordingly.
· Ensure quality of customer service as the first-level escalation for the handling and resolution of complaints or issues related to independent adjuster performance
· Ensure independent adjuster compliance with Aviva Canada agreements, local regulations and licensing regulations
· Effectively advise and counsel customers on claim status while providing prompt and exemplary customer service
· Ensure all correspondence is completed in a time efficient manner (e.g., creation of Critical path letters).
· Responsible for recognizing questionable claims, subrogation and risk opportunities. Working with trained investigators throughout the investigation process while managing customer expectations
· Collaborate with counsel and experts in the handling of first party litigation matters
· Manage performance expectations as set out in personal, team and company goals
· Adhere to and support policies surrounding attendance and vacation.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience
· CIP or FCIP Industry designation
· University Degree or College Diploma or equivalent Property technical work experience
· 5+ years insurance experience in both personal and commercial property claims.
· Superior technical claims handling
· Demonstrated customer service commitment
· Strong negotiation skills
· Technical competence in Personal and Commercial insurance
· Demonstrated rapport-building skills
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Strong communication skills – ability to communicate diplomatically and empathetically
· Ability to negotiate and reach agreement with suppliers/vendors
· Computer proficiency; Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook. Exposure to Guidewire an asset
· Superior analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills
· Ability to adopt business strategies and manage ongoing changes
· Regional licensing requirements for New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island are necessary for this role
· Bilingualism considered an asset
Aviva Canada is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities during all phases of the hiring process including the application process. If you require an accommodation because of a disability, we will work with you to meet your needs. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. If you are selected for an interview and require an accommodation, you are encouraged to advise the Talent Acquisition Partner who will consult with you to determine an appropriate accommodation.