Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the leading provider, offering virtualized infrastructure, storage, networking, messaging, analytics, and other web services to customers all over the world. AWS operates a globally distributed environment at massive levels of scale. Businesses, educational institutions and governments around the world depend on AWS for secure services and solutions.
The Emerging Planning Solutions team within AWS ensures that our Field and Commercial teams have the world-class data and analytics tools required to scale with our rapidly expanding business. We are seeking a System Engineer to support multiple projects and initiatives as we continue to build new capabilities around analytics and application event monitoring.
You will have an opportunity to collaborate with solution architects, business intelligence developers, and security engineers to help build and maintain ETL pipelines and event monitoring solutions at scale. This team will help shape the strategic direction and decisions for the data integration and monitoring of critical AWS planning, helping us to become the world’s most efficient sales support organization.
As a Systems Engineer, you should be an expert in the design, implementation, and maintenance of AWS infrastructure and technologies including but not limited to EC2, S3, RedShift, and Glue. You should excel in the sourcing, ingestion, processing, and management of extremely large datasets to be monitored and alerted on by Business Intelligence tools. You should have deep expertise with administrating EC2 instances via a command-line interface (CLI) and maintaining OS and application environments. You should have excellent communication skills to be able to work with security analysts and solution architects to determine how best to implement a robust data warehousing, ETL, and event monitoring platform. You will be responsible for designing and implementing scalable ETL and monitoring processes in a data warehouse platform across several connected AWS technologies, and be responsible for maintaining the health of the underlying system infrastructure. You should have the ability to use SQL and Python to derive logic that drives monitoring and alerting on specific logged events, and have experience extracting source data from an API.
*Position may be located virtual United States only.
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple competing priorities simultaneously and drive projects to completion
· Able to influence decisions through effective verbal and written communication and logical reasoning
Self-starter who can operate independently
· Proficiency with Tableau
· Proficiency with Apache Airflow
Proficiency with building and maintaining logging, monitoring, and alerting solutions
· Experience building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets
· Experience building data products incrementally and integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources
· Experience leading large-scale data warehousing and analytics projects, including using AWS technologies – Redshift, S3, EC2, etc.
· Experience providing technical leadership and mentorship to other engineers for the best practices in the systems space
· A desire to work in a collaborative, intellectually curious environment
Experience with Linux and command line interface (CLI)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
This position is subject to a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities if located within the city limits of Columbia, SC. Only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the candidate.
Ideal candidate profile
· 3+ years of experience developing on AWS including setup, integration, and maintenance of AWS services (S3, Redshift, Glue, and SES)
· 3+ years of experience writing and using advanced SQL
· 3+ years of experience coding in Python including familiarity with Spark and Scala
· 3+ years of experience querying and extracting data from APIs
· Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Data Management, Analytics, or a related field, or 4+ year’s equivalent hands-on industry experience