Are you a Software Engineer with a passion for building great experiences? Are you looking for an opportunity to make a big impact in a company with a global impact and a startup culture?
Alexa Communications is reinventing the way customers enjoy and connect to one-another in a genuine and meaningful way. We are building products that make it easy, even effortless, for customers to connect with loved ones – no matter what device or platform they want to start that conversation on. We are gearing up to launch new products, devices, and features that just may change how people view what Alexa means in their life.
Who you are: You are an experienced Software Engineer with more than 2 years of experience shipping great software. You have done a bit of everything – building highly scalable services, websites, mobile apps, perhaps even written an app or two for your personal reasons. What you find most interesting is creating great apps either for iOS or Android (or both)! You enjoy the freedom, mobility, and the ability to do things in mobile apps, that you just cannot accomplish any other way. You spend most of your time using higher level language constructs because that is usually the fastest way to get things done, but you will get your hands dirty with OS API calls when you need to. You know that a great mobile app not only does the job, but does it with a great flow and look and feel. You love building software that makes people say “wow, that is amazing” and “I did not know you could do that”. You love working with a smart, talented team because you know that makes you better. You love solving complex problems with simple code.
What you will do here: You will provide technical leadership and vision to your team(s), and the wider Alexa Communications organization. You will ensure that the best engineering practices are followed and that our software is designed to be responsive, reliable and maintainable. You will be a key influencer in our product vision, working with our great designers and product team to build software that millions will use. You will work closely with other teams throughout Amazon to design and architect solutions that will scale to hundreds of millions of customers. You will build new apps and build great new features to our existing apps. You will be a role model and mentor for other engineers on the team.
What you will get from us: A great team to work with and the chance to build top tier apps at a proven top tier company. You will get a startup like culture with the stability of an established industry leader. You will get support and resources from some of the smartest people in the industry to continue learning. You will build software that will materially improve people’s lives.
You should be here. Come join us now!
You’re chatting and making memories every day. Maybe you’re in a video call streaming your kids playing on the swings, making a quick call while running errands to your parent, or just dropping in to have a conversation with your significant other while on your lunch break. On the Alexa Show and beyond, Communications brings you face-to-face with loved ones. In the Alexa Communications team, we want to help people have more meaningful and genuine conversations with each other. We’re looking for a mobile app expert to help us revolutionize how customers manage and interact with each other in real-time.
As a key member of the Alexa Communications team you will be an innovator, playing a direct role in shaping and building products that customers love on top of Amazon's technology. You will be part of a strong team in a fast-paced, start-up like environment where agile development is embraced and innovation is encouraged. At Amazon, every engineer has the opportunity to positively impact millions of customers and you will be called on to identify and realize these opportunities.
· Mobile application software development, design and prototyping.
· Contribute best-in-class programming skills to develop highly innovative, consumer-facing iOS or Android apps.
· Writing clean, maintainable code and performing peer code-reviews.
· Work with other team members to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology and evaluate technical feasibility
· Work in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules
· Establish architectural principles, select design patterns and then mentor team members
· Work closely with product and design teams to customize the Alexa experience on mobile devices
· Implement custom native and React Native user interfaces using the latest iOS or Android programming techniques
· Analyze and optimize UI and back-end application code for efficiency and performance
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
· 3+ years of application development experience on iOS and/or Android
· Ideal candidates must be innovative, creative, flexible and be passionate about building great UX experiences
· Working knowledge of React Native is desirable
· Proficiency in front-end coding and design
· Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
· Self-motivated with the ability to design and write high-performance, reliable, and maintainable code
· Excellence in technical communications with both technical and non-technical peers
· Strong desire to improve our customer's communication experience
· Ability to take a project from requirements gathering and design to actual product launch
· Most of all: enthusiasm, creativity, and inventiveness! You will be asked to find new ways to solve challenging problems every day
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Ideal candidate profile
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.