Amazon Web Service (AWS) operates in 12 geographic regions around the world, with 5 more regions coming online throughout the next year, making AWS one of the fastest growing enterprise tech companies ever. Amazon’s Data Centers are a major component of worldwide cloud-computing infrastructure and are industry leading examples of innovation. The Architectural, Civil and Structural (ACS) Design Team is responsible for the design of all Amazon Data Center sites. We drive to develop a fleet of buildings that emphasize security, safety, space utilization, efficiency, and cost effectiveness, while meeting AWS rapid growth in demand. Our designers are always on the forefront of creating and delivering building designs that meet the changing needs of our customers.
As a Data Center Architect/Engineer you will be a part of highly creative and efficient design team comprised of Architects, Engineers and Designers tasked with tackling fascinating and challenging problems in building datacenters. As part of this team, you will be the Architect leading the site and building shell designs and guiding the portfolio that will drive the design of our fleet. In this capacity, your role will include project management, developing designs, oversight and coordination of consultants in the architectural, structural and civil design disciplines, managing bid processes, and participation in day to day construction oversight. Additionally, you will lead investigations into new building strategies that will impact the cost and environmental footprint of our fleet, interview consultant teams, and support a variety of strategies for growth and expansion of AWS services.
The following will be the typical high level duties:
· Work with the other design and engineering professionals on conceptual build projects.
· Create, review and release data center Architecture Civil and Structural designs
· Manage the portfolio of data center designs and features.
· Manage our external design consultants.
· Lead initiatives aimed at improving cost, quality and schedule.
· Work on multiple new data center build and capital improvement projects
· 25% international travel for site assessments, consultant selection activities, interface with real estate and design professionals including other A/E professionals, quantity surveyors, landlords, tenant representatives and building owners.