Cabling Infrastructure Technician (m/f)
At Amazon, we are working to be the most customer-centric company on earth. To get there, we need exceptionally bright, talented, and driven people. If you would like to help us build Amazon Web Services, this is your chance to make history.
The Data Center Global Services organization is looking for a Technician with a progressive career history in structured cabling. Our Cabling Infrastructure team is responsible for driving low voltage structured cabling across the Amazon data center platform.
This role offers challenge and opportunity for experienced cabling professionals. The ideal candidate will be passionate about customer experience, drive global innovation through structured cabling contributions.
Role Responsibilities and Requirements:
· Installation and maintenance of copper and fiber cable infrastructure
· Maintain accurate records and document problems and processes
· Ensure that the technicians in the team understand all safety and badging procedures onsite
· Track and prepare cabling for incoming equipment in advance
· Installation of network and cabling infrastructure in a data center environment
· Manage, check and coordinate all materials to be delivered to site daily
· Follow all production, safety and quality standards, codes and industry best practices
· Report current status via ticketing system, provide status reports, and email
· Exhibit quality workmanship on all work and maintain collocation space cleanliness
· Inventory, track and manage project related materials throughout project lifecycle
· Reading and comprehending blueprints and building documentation / redline work
· Ensure usage of Personal Protective Equipment at all times while within the AWS Data Center environment & adhere to all AWS Safety & Security policies, practices and guidelines
· Extensive knowledge of cable infrastructure installation and testing
· Complete understanding of industry cable test procedures and equipment for a variety of different cabling systems (copper / fiber test equipment, Fluke DSX, DTX , Network Analyzer, VFL etc.)
· Ability to direct team members in installation and relocation of network equipment and cabling on a large-scale basis
· Experience managing cable test management software, such as Fluke linkware, to maintain an accurate Cabling infrastructure database
· Experience with fault isolating and troubleshooting cabling within live networks including LAN and WAN
· Excellent written, spoken interpersonal communication and reporting skills
· Understanding of test equipment (power meter / light source, OTDR, VFL, network analyzer, copper / fiber cabling test equipment)
· Must work well with little supervision individually and in a team environment
· Must possess proven problem solving skills, critical thinking skills and the ability to effectively read, write and give oral presentations
· Must be able to work at heights, off a ladder and in confined spaces, lift up to 18kg and move up to 23kg
· Must be self-motivated, positive in approach, professional and help create, develop and implement project process improvement(s)
· Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects and priorities
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, and Outlook to document track and manage projects.
· Ability to work under pressure and deadlines
· Thorough understanding of Cat 6 and OM3 – OS2 fiber optic cabling systems
· Ability to travel within the branch territory and/or regional territory as needed
· Proper use of all tools and equipment necessary to perform assigned tasks.
· Experience of troubleshooting fiber optic network cables (Using fiber tester, power meter, etc.)
· Good grasp of written and spoken English
· Work in noisy areas with hotter and colder temperatures than standard office environmental conditions
· Occasional work in tight and/or narrow spaces, such as under raised floors
· Manage multiple concurrent interdisciplinary projects and ability to work in a team