Go beyond protecting Amazon Web Services (AWS) and have a direct impact on new cutting-edge initiatives at Amazon. Work across multiple security domains as well as strategic security partnerships. Since 2006, our great team at AWS has been enabling our customers to bring great ideas to life in ways that aren’t possible in traditional IT environments.
AWS Security is looking for a Security Engineer to design security controls and help validate that our services, applications, and emerging technologies are designed and implemented to the highest security standards. You will be engaging with teams creating exciting new technologies, requiring highly customized security judgment outside of existing IT and security structures. You will be responsible for analyzing the security of applications and services, discovering and addressing security issues, building security automation, and decisively taking action to remediate emerging threats throughout a full secure development life-cycle (SDLC).
This role will provide career growth opportunities as you gain new security skills in the course of your work. Security engineers at AWS have an opportunity to experiment, learn, build tools, and work with teams building new technology and services at massive scale. Security engineers at all levels have the opportunity to learn from and be mentored by those who are building and securing our cutting-edge services. A security engineer is also expected to be a mentor for others and be a trusted security advisor within the organization.
A security engineer at Amazon is expected to have technical expertise in multiple domains and provide significant contributions to the AWS Security team and to multiple groups throughout Amazon. Security engineers are expected to develop elegant solutions to complex security risk problems and apply appropriate technologies while following security engineering best practices.
A security engineer must demonstrate strong Amazon leadership principles. This role requires the ability to foster constructive dialogue and seek resolution when confronted with differing opinions on security risks. Engineers in this role are expected to participate fully in the planning of the AWS Security team's work and constantly seek opportunities for process improvement.
A successful candidate will need a combination of troubleshooting, technical, and communication skills. An AWS Security engineer must have the ability to take ownership and deliver on multiple complex objectives which may include project and software development work.
Your responsibilities will include:
· Shaping new services through security review of design, architecture, and implementation
· Secure development life-cycle (SDLC) practices including threat modeling and security testing
· Strongly influence decision-makers and stakeholders to achieve a consistently high security bar for new services
· Scope and assist in penetration testing engagements for services that will operate at cloud-scale
· Create security guidance and documentation for team and customers
· Develop security tools and automation
· Develop and deliver security training and outreach to internal development teams
· Lead security projects (including security reviews, tool development, and creation of new security practices) with end-to-end ownership across AWS and Amazon initiatives
· Support for mentoring, team building and recruiting activities in a company where security is a critical priority
· Opportunities to communicate security findings to senior leadership across the company
· Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
· Professional experience building or reviewing threat models
· Professional experience conducting security assessments, including penetration testing
· Ability to lead through influence within a secure development life-cycle for multiple products and technologies, meeting customer expectations for security
· Experience implementing security solutions that resolve security and business risk trade-offs
· An understanding of communication protocols and data formats (such as TLS, HTTP(S), JSON, XML, Web Sockets)
· An understanding of Identity and authorization provider technologies (OAuth, SAML, OIDC, Identity Federation)
· An understanding of cryptography, web service frameworks, mobile application architectures, and service architectures (such as event-driven, service-oriented, or serverless architectures)
· Experience with one or more scripting or programming languages (such as Python, Java, C++) for the purpose of code review
· Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to engage directly with senior leadership
· Ability to discover and communicate deep technical issues in terms of business risk with non-experts and senior leaders
· Strong bias for action balanced with a strong ability to dive deep into problems
· Strong ownership, urgency, and drive
· Strong analytical abilities and design skills
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
· Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Ideal candidate profile
· Bachelor (undergraduate) degree in a relevant field (Computer Science, Software Engineer, Security, or others) OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
· Minimum of 2 years of professional experience with any combination of at least 2 technical disciplines, including the following: cloud security, network security, application security, mobile security, secure development methodologies, software development and coding, identity management, authentication and authorization, and systems engineering