London, Greater London
£ 25 - £ 30 / Hour
Legal - Lawyer
· Job type
· External Reference
JOB TITLE: Lawyer
LOCATION: Ealing, West London
PAY RATE: £25 - £30 per hour (Umbrella)
START DATE: ASAP
DURATION: 3 months minimum
IR35 STATUS: Inside
**SOCIAL CARE LAWYER WITH EXPERIENCE OF EDUCATION & SEN ISSUES REQUIRED***
PURPOSE OF ROLE:
· Primarily to provide legal advice on matters relating to the Council's responsibilities towards children.
· To conduct court proceedings involving the council.
· To provide legal advice on other social care and education matters if requested to do so.
1. To give legal advice on and prepare straightforward and complex documentation relating to all childcare matters and to assist in the development of policy.
2. To conduct straight forward and complex childcare and adoption proceedings including evaluation of evidence, case preparation and advocacy
3. To attend committees, working parties and other member level panels or meetings as required and to advise on procedural and specific legal issues.
4. To instruct counsel as necessary, arrange case conferences and attend to counsel at hearings / inquiries as required.
5. To manage case work and advise on strategic case management with a view to cost effectiveness.
6. To represent the Council in meetings with other authorities, government departments and other bodies.
7. To draft reports and legal implications of reports to Cabinet and committees.
8. To familiarise and keep up to date with changes in the law and legal practice, and bring this to the attention of relevant client departments.
9. To assist the Head of Legal (Social Care and Education) in identifying the training needs of clients in the fields of social care and education and to participate in the provision of appropriate training for those clients.
10. To supervise and manage the performance of legal support staff in the Team.
11. To assist in the recruitment of legal support staff in the Team.
12. To attend training courses and liaise with external bodies as required.
13. To undertake other duties and responsibilities of a similar professional nature and at a similar responsibility level to those described above which may be allocated from time to time.
14. To assist the Legal Services management team in the development and promotion of high standards.
15. To provide a consistent and fair approach towards members of the public and Council employees in accordance with the Council's Customer Care and Equal Opportunities Policies.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
1. Knowledge and understanding of the law and procedure relating to the council's responsibilities towards children and their families.
2. Ability to obtain and evaluate evidence, prepare cases and appear as advocate on behalf of the council before tribunals, courts and other bodies in both contested and uncontested cases.
3. A clear and systematic approach to problem solving.
4. Ability to research other areas of law and policy effectively and to apply that research to meet the client's needs.
5. Ability to supervise the work of support staff in the team.
6. Ability to represent the Council at meetings of the Cabinet/Committees and at meetings with other public authorities and give advice on matters of law and procedures.
Adecco acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. The Adecco Group UK & Ireland is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
By applying for this role your details will be submitted to Adecco. Our Candidate Privacy Information Statement explains how we will use your information - please copy and paste the following link in to your browser https://www.adecco.co.uk/candidate-privacy