Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
As a Sr. Staff MRI Engineer you lead in development of platform technologies for next generation MRI conditionally safe implantable medical devices. You also represent Abbott in MRI standards working groups, support regulatory submissions for global markets, and establish and manage external strategic partnerships.
Experience & Characteristics for Success
- Accomplished experience leading and executing the development of advanced electro-mechanical devices from concept to commercialization.
- Deep understanding of interactions between MRI, implantable devices, and human body
- Demonstrated highly effective communication skills with internal stakeholders, physicians, and regulatory bodies
- Demonstrated thought leader in the field of MRI safety through published journal articles and/or conference presentations
- Knowledge of various clinical MRI sequences, indicated anatomies, and imaging optimization for implantable devices
- Lead the development of new technologies and test methods for MRI conditionally safe implantable devices
- Represent Abbott in MRI standards working groups
- Represent MRI team to interact with global regulatory bodies
- Establish and manage external strategic partnerships
- Maintain external visibility through conference presentations and peer-reviewed journal publications
- Mentor and train other engineers
- Bachelor's degree in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or related field.Advanced Degree strongly preferred (Ph.D. desired)
- Minimum of 12+ years’ experience in medical device development, specifically related to MRI interactions.
- Experience leading small project teams and mentoring junior engineers.
- Experience in high frequency numerical electromagnetic simulations (HFSS, Sim4Life, etc.)
- Experience in numerical thermal modelling techniques
- Excellent knowledge of ISO/TS 10974 Joint Working Group
- Working knowledge of IEC 60601-2-33
- Strong fundamentals in MR imaging physics, electromagnetic theory, and/ or MR hardware sub-systems.
- Hands-on experience in playing a major role in multiple medical device regulatory submissions or Experience in writing and executing grant proposals.
- Must be willing to relocate to Plano, TX