At Abbott, we're committed to helping people live their best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 99,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
The Information Governance Specialist will join Abbott’s dynamic Information Governance (“IG”) group and support the management of all Abbott data throughout its lifecycle, while working to enhance IG maturity across the enterprise.
The Specialist will support and help steer Abbott’s efforts to move towards more sophisticated and better integrated data management systems, including by modernizing Abbott’s traditional paper records function using automation and other new technologies.
This position reports to the Manager, Information Governance, and will interact with data management stakeholders in BTS, Legal, Quality, HR, and other diverse business groups in global environment.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Champion IG within Abbott by promoting compliance with Abbott’s evolving IG policy portfolio.
- Effectively use and quickly learn new information and data management technologies.
- Identify, analyze and report key metrics related to records management and IG broadly.
- Establish and maintain relationships with individuals throughout the company on data and records management issues.
- Identify and implement measures to make current data and records management processes more efficient.
- Manage the third-party record supplier relationship, ensuring vendor compliance with IG principles of information and data preservation and protection, privacy, data security, data minimization, and retention.
- Effectively communicate with and educate business users to ensure appropriate data classification and application of metadata to all Abbott data.
- Support business users’ information and data access needs by efficiently and effectively responding to internal requests for information.
- Manage and track record and data disposition activities using centralized information system.
- Support the Litigation, eDiscovery, and other regulatory-related information discovery processes.
- Introduce operational efficiencies to further automate existing records management functions.
- Manage scanning and quality control processes and review of vital records.
- Develop into and ultimately serve as a subject matter professional on data and records management:
- Review and provision access to new users of data/record systems as needed.
- Provide training on data/record systems to new users and update training materials as needed.
- Train business units and users on proper data classification and appropriate metadata to ensure appropriate retention and appropriate responsiveness to discovery requests.
- Bachelor’s Degree or advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 3 years’ relevant experience in information governance/IT/legal field (ideally in areas such as privacy, mergers and acquisitions, data/records management, information governance, and/or enterprise content management).
- Program management and process improvement experience.
- Familiarity with data and record management best practices.
- Previous experience with the data and/or records lifecycle management technology tools and operational practice of suppliers providing records management services.
- Understanding of the legal and regulatory environment as it relates to records management practices, as well as records management operational risks areas and leading practices.
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to identify goals and solutions to improve business processes, and provide positive and constructive feedback to build positive relationships.
- Experience applying technology to the management of data and/or records retention obligations.
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and within a team, in a fast-paced changing environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communications with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels in the organization.
- Strong organizational, planning, and follow-up skills and ability to hold others accountable.
- Strong risk-based judgment and analytical thinking skills.
- Capable of providing strategic perspectives on operational/process changes.
GENC General Counsel
United States > Abbott Park : AP06A Floor-2
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf