Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
We are recruiting for a R&D Engineer II to join our team in St. Paul, MN. This is a unique opportunity to join an early-stage development team that provides solutions to patients suffering from mitral valve disease. The position is on a fast-paced, early product development team within Abbott's Ventures Organization. The individual who fills this role will play a pivotal part in the design, development and testing of this novel trans-septal prosthetic tissue mitral valve from early clinical feasibility through commercialization. Candidate will be responsible for providing engineering support in the creation and the development of new medical device products (invasive and non-invasive).
- Researches, develops, designs, and evaluates mechanical and electro-mechanical materials, components, assemblies, processes and/or equipment
- Conducts feasibility studies to verify capability and functionality
- Develops new concepts from initial design to market release
- Maintains detailed documentation throughout all phases of research and development
- Investigates and evaluates existing technologies
- Reviews or coordinates vendor activities to support development
- Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and vendors
- Work with internal departments and outside vendors to obtain prototype parts
- Under the guidance from a Senior Engineer, generate design improvement concepts to meet specific design goals
- Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical, Chemical, or Bio-Medical Engineering
- 2+ years' experience in an engineering environment (i.e. manufacturing, R&D, or lab setting environment)
- Demonstrated experience writing test methods, model development and identifying potential issues with designs
- Experience using ProE or Solidworks.
- Ability to work well independently and as a member of a team is essential.
- Hands-on experience with transcatheter heart valve design and the proven ability to apply technical knowledge and judgment to complex technical problems and technical proficiency specific to mechanical problem solving in medical device design.
- Experience in new product development with successful design from concept to commercialization
JOB FAMILY:Product Development
LOCATION:United States > Minnesota> St. Paul > Woodridge : 177 East County Rd B
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf