Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
The Pipefitter's primary function is to provide 24 hour, 7 day a week \"skilled trade\" maintenance support to the manufacturing, research and development laboratories, warehouses, and office facilities that make up Abbott Park and its associated owned and leased lake County facilities. The Pipefitter II will inspect, troubleshoot, and maintain facility, production and equipment system piping.
- Laying out, fabricating, assembling, installing, and maintaining piping and piping systems, fixtures, and equipment for steam, hot water, heating, cooling, lubricating, sprinkling, and industrial processing systems.
- Selecting type and size of pipe and related materials according to job specifications, knowledge of system operation, and study of building plans / working drawings.
- Planning sequence of installation to avoid obstructions and cutting pipe.
- Threading and ending pipe by hand or with pipe bending machine.
- Assembling and joining piping by means of threaded, chalked, wiped, soldered, brazed fused, or cemented joints.
- Securing pipes to structure with clamps, brackets, and hangers, using hand tools.
- Test, inspect, replace piping and pressure relief devices on production and facility equipment.
- Coordinate scheduled work with customers and service providers.
- Perform building walk-throughs to identify needed repairs and follow up with corrective action.
- Check, test and replace steam traps as necessary.
- Maintain facility to ensure reliable and effective operation.
- Install valves and other plumbing fixtures in restrooms.
- Must have knowledge of underground, sewer lines, draining system.
Accountability / Scope:
- Failure to check, maintain, and/or operate systems according to quality assurance specifications would jeopardize product integrity and place Abbott in noncompliance with government agencies, including EPA FDA.
- Errors in shutting down equipment or opening switches inappropriately could result in electrical equipment shutdown and resultant product losses in hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- Accidentally energizing electrical/mechanical systems and/or equipment could have life or death implications.
- Failure to schedule maintenance work with Production Management could have an adverse impact on customers' operations/production.
- Failure to adhere to operating instructions and/or safety policies could result in bodily injury and/or fatalities, property losses through fires, explosions, and chemical releases to self and others.
- Closing valves inappropriately could result in production and/or facility equipment shutdown and result in product losses in hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- Must have High school education or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years related mechanical/maintenance experience in an industrial/commercial area.
- Plumbing license and CCDI preferred.
JOB FAMILY:Facilities & Maintenance
DIVISION:GES Global Engineering Services
LOCATION:United States > Waukegan : J36
MEDICAL SURVEILLANCE:Not Applicable
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Awkward/forceful/repetitive (arms above shoulder, bent wrists), Work requiring repeated bending, stooping, squatting or kneeling
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf