At Abbott, we're committed to helping you live your best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 94,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
Abbott in Ireland
In Ireland, Abbott employs more than 3,200 people across 11 sites. Abbott has six manufacturing facilities located in Clonmel, Cootehill, Donegal, Longford and Sligo and a third-party manufacturing management operation in Sligo. It has commercial operations in Dublin and shared services in Dublin and Westport. Abbott serves the Irish market with a diverse range of health care products including diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic pharmaceuticals. Abbott has been operating in Ireland since 1946.
Abbott Ireland Nutrition Division – Cootehill
Abbott Nutrition in Cootehill manufactures infant nutritional products for the export markets. The facility is dedicated to providing products of the highest quality standard to its customers.
Abbott Nutrition produces a range of infant formulae in all pack sizes under the brand name “Similac”. To complement the range of “Similac” infant formulae, the facility also manufactures a range of follow on formulae under the brand name of “Gain”. The essential ingredient is liquid skim milk and this is combined with carbohydrate, vegetable oils, vitamins and minerals. The product is blended, pasteurised, dried and packaged at the site and once packaged, is distributed to Europe, South East Asia, the Middle East, Latin America and Canada.
Established in 1975, Abbott Nutrition in Ireland is the largest powder manufacturing facility for the production of infant formulae within the Abbott Corporation worldwide.
Approximately 1,000 dairy farms in Ireland and Northern Ireland supply quality milk to the Cootehill facility which processes 500,000 litres per day. This secure supply together with Ireland's reputation as a green, clean environment is of significant strategic importance to Abbott Nutrition.
We are now looking for Laboratory Supervisor and this position will include the following:
Primary Function / Goals / Objectives
- The role of Analytical Laboratory Supervisor is to provide support to the Analytical department by providing management and direction to a group of laboratory technicians, overseeing daily operations to monitor testing on ingredients at inprocess and finished product, and assist in preparation and implementation of laboratory procedures and test methods, quality systems and training programs.
- This function has the responsibility for reviewing all SOP's for any job task he/she may carry out and ensure he/she fully understands and adheres to the SOP.
- This Job function will change where update procedures to GMP, EHS, Technical / New Equipment, Quality Procedures & SOP's are made.
- This list of responsibilities may change depending on plant needs and employees are expected to be adaptable and flexible where this need arises.
- The Analytical Laboratory Supervisor will manage a team of laboratory technicians and ensure all testing associated with Batch Release is carried out and analysed to ensure product manufactured is a safe and high quality product.
- Allocation, scheduling and managing laboratory resources for group's activities and managing the Kronos Time and Attendance System
- Coordinating and prioritizing (internal and third party laboratory) testing to ensure testing is completed on time to meet release metrics and market requirements
- Review and approval of all batch paperwork including audit trails and authorising test results on LIMS
- Managing and approving Change control on LIMS thereby maintaining LIMS up to date with product documents such as Manufacturing Directions, Master Specifications and Raw Material Specifications
- Recruitment of new laboratory technicians and support in their training programmes.
- Setting goals and completing performance reviews for analytical team and providing opportunities for development.
- Monitoring and publishing weekly metrics and Short Interval Controls for QA Boards and the issuance of metrics for management review
- Attending Daily Process meetings and maintaining good communications with process department.
- Maintain timely Equipment PM and Calibration schedules and the coordination of the repair of equipment breakdowns
- Maintain a good level of housekeeping and good manufacturing practices within the laboratory and the completion of regular GMP audits.
- Maintain a high standard of Good Laboratory Practice and Safety Compliance, be audit ready and identify areas for improvement.
- Preparation and implementation of QA SOPs and test methods. Ensuring adherence and making recommendations to quality system improvements. Periodic Review of Policies and Procedures.
- Maintain accurate training curriculums on Compliance Wire to reflect the various laboratory technician roles.
- Coordination of in-process and final product analytical analysis.
- Coordination of analytical analysis for incoming ingredients.
- Assume the role of designee for the Laboratory Manager as required.
- The function will support laboratory projects in relation to test method transfers, new equipment introduction and validation and data integrity initiatives.
- The function will manage LIR (Laboratory Investigation Reports) and support all laboratory related QRs / investigations to reach root cause and identify corrective/ preventive actions
- This function will support ingredient qualifications and First Lot To Stocks and the resulting change control parameters implemented onto LIMS and onto the Inbatch Recipe System.
- The Analytical Laboratory Supervisor will manage a team of Day Analytical or Process Analytical Technicians (approx. 9). These technicians will report directly to the Analytical Laboratory Supervisor.
- Hold a Bachelor's Degree in a science related or engineering discipline, ie chemistry, biochemistry.
Knowledge & Skills
- Three years management experience in the food, pharmaceutical, biotech or analytical laboratory industries is desirable
- Direct supervisory experience with strong people management skills
- Full understanding of GMP/ FDA requirements,
- Knowledge and experience of a wide range of techniques such as HPLC, ICP,
- Very good understanding of the Laboratory Analytical requirements.
- Excellent interpersonal and computer skills and the ability to work as an effective member of a high-performance team.
Accountability / Scope
- Batch testing is critical to overall quality of the product. Incorrect results could potentially lead to a rejected batch or distressed inventory.
Discover why candidates choose a career at Abbott Ireland here
JOB FAMILY:Operations Quality
DIVISION:ANSC Nutrition Supply Chain
LOCATION:Ireland > Cootehill : Dromore West
WORK SHIFT:Ie - Shftpre0 (Ireland)
TRAVEL:Yes, 25 % of the Time
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)