Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott is looking for a Data Engineer to join the newly formed Big Data Analytics group. This role will assist in development of data platforms, business solutions, and proof of concept to assist the big data team in realizing business goals.
- Demonstrate high degree of analytic agility to meet fluid and dynamic business needs
- Use data engineering techniques to design and build solutions/ products for analyzing large data sets and identify patterns and relationships
- Create, deploy and optimize large scale data
- Assist in rapid development of new data and analytics prototypes
- Explore data sources to better understand the availability and quality of data.
- Document available data sources and how they are being transformed.
- Embrace an environment that supports innovation and process improvement
- Manage data sources, organize data and create data assets using identified open source or proprietary tools
- Work closely with SMEs, functional experts in Commercial, R&D, finance, etc. for building data pipeline from structure and unstructured data sources
- Work on newest tools and technologies to achieve results - Scala, Scalding, Spark, Hadoop
- Bachelor's degree in any of the following – Physics, Computer Science, Statistics, Quantitative Sciences or another quantitative field.
- 2-4 years of experience
- Experience in data analytics solution components from AWS and Microsoft Azure
- Experience with Hadoop, Apache Spark, Hive, HBase, YARN, Drake/Airflow, and Scala required
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability and desire to learn new software languages and technologies
- Attention to detail and organization/ documentation skills
- Ability to prioritize and triage deadline-driven tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Experience manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume data from varying sources
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, actionable manner
- Experience with Python, and/or R will be a plus
JOB FAMILY:IT Business Relationship Management
DIVISION:GIS Global Information Services
LOCATION:United States > Chicago : WeWork National Building 125 S. Clark Street
TRAVEL:Yes, 10 % of the Time
MEDICAL SURVEILLANCE:Not Applicable
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day), Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf